FULL TIME POSITION: Assistant Manager (U-Stop)
LOCATION: U-Stop #24 – 110 West Fletcher in the Highlands, Lincoln, NE
SHIFT HOURS: 3 PM – 11 PM some 7 AM – 3 PM (WEEKDAYS & WEEKENDS). Possible occasional overnight, when short staffed, covering for paid time off.
REPORTS TO: U-Stop store manager
STARTING RATE: $14.75/HOUR. +$0.50/hour differential for hours worked between 11 PM – 7 AM)
HOURS/WEEK: 36 HOURS/on average, occasional overtime.
BENEFITS: Paid Time Off/Short Disability, 401(K)/profit sharing, reimbursement for food handler/server seller permits, uniform discount, group health, dental, vision, life/A.D.D. insurance, supplemental life insurance.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Assists in managing the store and supervising its employees; may assume management responsibilities in Store Manager’s absence.
- Fully understand and be able to perform the job description for the position of Customer Service Associate.
- Will be responsible for in-house store inventory for store supply order on a timely basis as well as receiving shipment and putting inventory away.
- Will be responsible for price changes which include but are not limited to: monthly specials, beer and inventory count and effective date of change.
- Will be responsible for fuel price changes, which entail outdoor sign changes during fair or inclement weather.
- Must be able to do fill-in shift work, to include any shift, 24-hours/day, seven days/week, regularly including weekends and holidays. Third shift is regularly staffed with one person. Fill-in shift work may include covering for vacation/sick or other hours on short notice.
- Assistant Manager will be expected to be able to complete and balance daily bookwork within 2-3 hours on a regular basis, neatly and accurately according to company guidelines
- If driving on frequent basis, must have reliable transportation, valid drivers’ license and proof of insurance as is expected to make occasional trips to local bank to make deposit and to Administrative Office.
- Will be expected to lead by example, consistently have a positive attitude.
- Provides guidance to new employees and reinforcement to existing employees as to how to perform daily functions “the U-Stop way” and according to Company Policy and Procedures.
- Assists the manager in assuring that safety procedures and accident handling procedures are followed; and in conducting safety meetings and training.
- Helps assure all customers receive excellent customer service including quick, tactful handling of complaints.
- Assists the manager in assuring buildings, equipment and grounds are clean and inviting; that merchandise is properly stocked, rotated and clean.
- Assists the manager in assuring all employees comply with company cleanliness, grooming and uniform policies.
- Assists the manager in training employees to perform their duties competently and safely; coaches and counsels employees at appropriate times;
- Assists in enforcing all state and local laws concerning the sale of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol, instant lottery tickets and Powerball tickets.
- Assists the manager in monitoring cashier, vendor and customer activity to discover theft or dishonesty.
- Attain monthly and annual performance objectives for the store and the employees as set by management.
- Maintain all store equipment and repairs as stated by company guidelines.
- Increase customer satisfaction and store image by handling customer complaints effectively, positively and with empathy for customer concerns.
- Implement creative problem solving techniques to motivate / maintain employees as well as driving the business.
- Maintain an organization environment that fosters individual motivation, initiative, innovation and latitude in achieving corporate and personal objectives.
- Incumbents will be required to drive on a frequent basis.
- They must have proof of insurance and a motor vehicle report which meets the standards of the Company’s insurance carrier.
- Overnights on occasion.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Complete all customer service associate and other required training.
- Basic computer skills in Excel and Word processing is preferred.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands and fingers: and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, infrequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- Continuous standing for up to a 6-8 hours in an eight, (8)-hour shift. Necessary standing, stooping, climbing and bending to stock and inventory merchandise.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.